Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mardi Gras!

Today is Mardi Gras, the day of all days. One of the few days of the year when you can eat and party all day and have an excuse. This also works for New Year's Eve, Christmas, and your birthday if it's on a weekend. And if you're lucky enough to have Mardi Gras parades near you, go to them. They are so much fun! If the only one that is near you is the ten minute parade that passes your house, then at least you have one. Us in the North don't get anything. If you're near New Orleans, GO to Mardi Gras THERE! It will be one of the funnest parties you've ever been to. The whole town is one big party. If you, like my friend, can go to Mardi Gras in Venice, then I will forever hold a grudge against you because the closest I've come to international is Canada. But I heard that is fun to go to as well.
  Mardi Gras is the day where you eat a big feast, get fat, and fall asleep drunk. I should know because I did a big newspaper article on it in my elementary school paper. But the day after Mardi Gras is the anti-party. Ash Wednesday is when your parents come home after your party and make you clean up and do extra chores as your punishment. It is the hangover treatment of all parties. The part when you sober up and realize you have work to do. Ash Wednesday is the start of Lent.
  On Ash Wednesday, you must finally decide what it is that you want to give up. On Lent, a person gives up something that is of great importance to them for 40 days and 40 nights in symbolism to Jesus fasting in the desert with no food or drink for 40 days and 40 nights. But something that is reasonable, so you cannot give up homework or school, or if you're an adult, work. Say you're always on the computer, then it might be beneficial to give up the computer for Lent. Or say you're a choco-holic. You could give up chocolate. One year, I gave up computer, I realized it wasn't that hard. Last year I gave up chocolate, a lot harder than computer.
  This year, I think I'm giving up junk food altogether. Yes, this so extremely hard, that I will need your help. First, if you are doing Lent, leave a comment, telling me what it is. If you're not doing Lent, it's ok, everyone has their own religion. 1st Amendment. Then, I am going to be held accountable to everyone reading this. If you happen to get the idea that I am breaking this junk food fast, please remind me of what it is I am doing.
The end of Lent, is Easter. On that day, you can binge, have fun, and play on the computer as much as you want. Lent will be over. Until then, good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment