Tuesday, January 24, 2012

News of a sort...

Hello you gorgeous followers! I have some news! I know you're thinking, news, what news? Good or bad? Or if you've already seen my mom's facebook update, then you already know and you're like. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, get on with this already." But if you haven't seen it yet, don't. Just wait until the end of my blog post like the rest of the good followers here. And don't even think about skipping this perfectly good blog story.
  There's a spelling bee at my school, and most other schools. But before we are deemed as "gifted" enough to be graced with a spot in the Nerd Herd, as we so gracefully call ourselves, we must first take a spelling test. This spelling test consists of 25 words, most of them dreadfully difficult. Last year's was so atrocious, that the highest # of words correct was only 19, in the whole entire school. And that chick was really smarttt!!!!!! So this year we had the same kind of test, but it was seemingly easier. Don't ask me why.
  Apparently the other kids in my grade eventually got their test grades back, but I have yet to receive mine. The only way us kids find out if we made the spelling bee is, we get called down to the office. (It's really fun to tease the few really gullible children that think they're actually in trouble.) Don't worry, we tell them... eventually..... that we were joking. After we get kissed on our heads and sucked up to enormously (total exaggeration, no one has ever kissed me on my head), we go back to our class rooms and joyfully take on the role as the Nerd Herd.
  About a week later, we go up to sit on a stage in a totally random order that is decided by picking numbers out of a hat, yes, a very sophisticated process I must admit. Then the spelling bee begins. Eventually all of my friends get kicked out of the unforgiving competition. My friend did nothing but stutter a wrong letter, he even caught himself, but if was too late. I felt bad for him, I wanted him to win, he won last year and I knew he was an awesome speller. My words, however, seemed to get easier. The hardest word I ever got  was laborious. Hard right? I had a large assortment of odd words. (vital, twinkly, mustard, mischief, carnival, shallow, etc....) I bet you can tell what happened eventually right?
   (Warning: this may sound nerdy) Every kid has a right to his own, awesome, nail-biting climax, correct? If not, I'll give mine to you anyway. Picture this: It's me and this one other kid. He stands up shakily, sweat pouring down his face. I look up slyly and smile, already smelling victory. My teacher mutters a simple word into the microphone. "Altogether," she states. The boy is completely lost... "Altogether, A-L-L-T-O-G-E-T-H-E-R?" The bell goes off, he's down. I spell two more words correctly, and I won.
                    You want to know a secret? Total exaggeration. It wasn't that amazing. Truth: He spelled a word wrong, I spelled a word right. The end. But like I said, every kid should get his/her own awesome, nail-biting climax.
   So the girl who got 19 words right on the spelling test last year, (oh yeah, that was me, aren't I modest? ;)) also won the spelling bee this year. I won and now I will get to go on to Regionals. I'll give you info on that when I get it.



*P.S. For those of you who skipped the whole blog story and instead went to the end, go back and read the story. And stop cheating!


2 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!! :) What were your final 2 words?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm. Mischief and Carnival. I know, it was kinda a let down after all the hard words I was imagining in my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete