Wednesday, March 7, 2012

From the opening scene, to the bows...

 It's over! After 3 months of grueling, painstaking practice, (total dramatization) I am done with my musical. We worked hard to perfect the wonderful musical, Fiddler on the Roof Jr. To put it in my mother's words, "I believe we did a smashing job!".
  I remember auditions in 2011 about November. I was so nervous, I've never done this thing before. Even though I was nervous, I was determined to try my hardest and get the best part I could. Then, as I was standing up to sing my part, I choked. I started singing high, quietly, like a whisper. Everyone can do that. I felt my eyes water up, I absolutely blew the singing part of it. I sat in the corner and waited out the rest of the singing until it came part to show my hand at acting. They gave us a script book and a part, and we did our best. This one, I knew what I could do. No one can make me ruin my acting, that's my strongest talent! I was "temporarily" given the part of Yente, and when my time came, I put all my feelings and ideas and cheesy accents into one line. It was quite a long line. I sounded amazing, even I could tell, the director and assistant director looked at me in shock. Oh yeah, I'm that awesome.
  After that, I eagerly awaited to hear if I made it into the musical, thankfully I did, now I just had to hear if I was going to get a good part. After all, they still didn't know that I could actually sing, since I ruined my audition. The time came and I realized with horror that I got Yente. Oh great, I got an old lady that barely says anything. I was pretty upset.
  I regret to admit that I acted like a brat for the beginning of the rehearsals. I did nothing but pout and mope. I didn't know anyone, and they all seemed to believe they were so much better than me because they'd done it before. Well, eventually I got fed up with whining and being hard on myself, and I embraced myself for who I am, an obnoxious, loud-mouthed, funny and air-headed Yente! I had all sorts of fun with it.
  The next couple of months I did nothing but focus my inner Yente, I worked hard to focus and channel and think about what Yente would do in everyday situations. I was dedicated to my character.
  My musical was last night and my Grandma even flew out her from Wisconsin just to see my performance. After three months, one night ends it all. Today was my cast party and while it was fun at first, we all slowly realized that we're never going to be altogether again. It was quite melancholy if you think about it.
  Three months. Three months of work taught me a lot, not just about the musical and storyline, but about myself too. Now, I see myself as Yente, the Polish matchmaker. And that's all I could have hoped to think.
  I love Fiddler on the Roof.


Now this song seems to match something in me; and it's in my head:

No comments:

Post a Comment